Intelectual Property Regarding Plants & Seeds

Naraiel

Intelectual Property Regarding Plants & Seeds

Postby Naraiel » April 13th, 2013, 8:48 am

Hello Family, and Friends

I heard from someone from Argentina about a German individual, Erik Von Baer, who has gotten ownership over the seed "Quinoa" in Chile, a few years ago, to be able to make genetic changes to it and produce new varieties, and have exclusive rights over the seed for a period of time, which can be renewed.

http://www.wipo.int/ipadvantage/en/details.jsp?id=2673

http://sullivanlaw.net/spain-another-ja ... ringement/

This news lead me to search for more information about something called "Plant Breeder's Rights" or "Derechos de Obtentor", which in the next thread I will provide more info.

What do you think about this?

Isn't this another way of blasphemy against Yahweh, by even thinking to have exclusive human ownership rights over God's Creation and food He has given to all humanity?

This reminds me of the following passage:

Son of man, say unto the prince of Tyrus [princes of the world], Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thine heart is lifted up, and thou hast said, I am a God, I sit in the seat of God, in the midst of the seas; yet thou art a man, and not God, though thou set thine heart as the heart of God:

"With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures:By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches, and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches:Therefore thus saith YAHWEH; Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; Behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness.

"They shall bring thee down to the pit, and thou shalt die the deaths of them that are slain in the midst of the seas.Thou shalt die the deaths of the uncircumcised by the hand of strangers: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord YAHWEH."
[From Ezekiel 28:1-10]
Last edited by Naraiel on April 13th, 2013, 9:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

Naraiel

Re: Intelectual Property Regarding Plants & Seeds

Postby Naraiel » April 13th, 2013, 8:59 am

About Plant Breeders' Rights

"A plant breeders’ right is a form of intellectual property right granted to breeders of new plant varieties for protection of their varieties against exploitation without their permission.

If you breed a plant variety and would like to obtain financial reward for your efforts, you must register that variety with the Registrar for Plant Breeders' Rights. Once you have registered a plant variety, it becomes your intellectual property. Any individual breeder or breeding institution [or corporation] may apply for a plant breeder’s right.

Plant breeders are only granted rights for kinds of plant that are declared in terms of the Plant Breeders’ Rights Act, 1976 (Act 15 of 1976).

Duration of a plant breeder’s right

Once your variety is approved, you will be issued with a plant breeders’ right certificate. Plant breeders' rights are valid for 25 years for vines and trees, and for 20 years for all annual varieties, calculated from the date on which a certificate of registration is issued.

Please note that as the holder of a plant breeders’ right, you must protect your interests and ensure that the variety is not exploited illegally by any unauthorized person."

For more information go to source: http://www.services.gov.za/services/con ... ghts/en_ZA

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_breeders'_rights

Naraiel

Postby Naraiel » April 13th, 2013, 9:56 am

In the same way big worldly corporations are using Yah's original genetic information and sources of life (like plants, trees, seeds, etc), which were given freely to ALL humanity, to modify them to "new varieties" of the same kind and claim exclusive rights of ownership (® or ™), the Corporation of the General Conference of SDAs has used Yah's original inspired name "Seventh day Adventist", which was given freely to a people and individuals who ascribe to His teachings and Biblical principles, to create a new variety of the same kind "Seventh day Adventist ®" to be able to claim exclusive rights of ownership of Yah's inspiration.

I don't know how Adventists can't see the spirit behind this SDA Trademark Lawsuit and persecution, which is worldly and Satanic.

"Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations... And YAHWEH said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt [sin] even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken Me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee." [Samuel 8:5-11, interesting reading after verse 11]

The gods of any corporation is Mammon, a love for money.

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Luke 16:13

Lucan

Postby Lucan » April 13th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I think it has the potential for some valuable discussion.

I think it is important for us to approach these topics rationally and think them through carefully. Where do you see the difference between a breeder patenting a particular type of plant he has selectively bred, and other types of patents? Do you consider all patents and intellectual property laws as being blasphemy, since "the earth is Yahweh's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein?" (Psa. 24:1-2) If not, where do you draw the line between right and wrong use?
- Lucan Chartier

Naraiel

Postby Naraiel » April 24th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Greetings Lucan,

I only related the plant breeder's rights with the SDA Trademark, specifically, I thought that comparison was clear from the previous postings, but I will expand a little bit more on that.

When men start believing they own Yah's gifts as their own and offer themselves officiously as His administrators and owners, that's when they commit blasphemy. But how can we expect the world to acknowledge and understand the absolute truth that Yah is the owner of everything? However, a true Christian and a true Christian Church are not from the world, neither they should share the mind of the world.

From the Christian point of view, trademarks or intellectual properties are just another natural consequence of a world in sin, and disorder.

When we touch Christian ground, the things and mentality of the world don't apply to Christians or to Christian Churches. In fact, as a Christian I don't agree that a Christian believer inspired by Yah, make profit from Sermons, songs and bible studies, and copyright these things, if he/she really believes those things have came from Yah's inspiration, and if they acknowledge that His Gifts are freely given to all, and to everybody. This is why we say "the Source of every Christian and the Church is Yahweh."

As a Christian, I can't steal from others what is from Yahweh to begin with (including plants, grace, His word, spiritual names), who has given His gifts freely to all, but if we separate spiritual things from worldly things, then I will honor copyright laws and trademarks to respect other people's businesses and human inventions (whatever it doesn't involve faith and religious convictions).

Only worldly churches become to think like the world, by accepting its policies. This is what the General Conference SDA Church is now, a worldly church, and as a result of this they have come to believe they have the exclusive right to something that Yah gave freely and generously to anyone who wishes to accept His faith and truth (His second coming, the judgment, His commandments, etc)

I hope I made myself clear, perhaps you can help me with another angle of the same problem. :)

Lucan

Postby Lucan » April 26th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Thanks for your answers. I have a further question:

Where do you see the line between what is Yahweh's gift and what is a human invention? Ultimately all things come from Yahweh, so I am wondering where you are drawing the distinction here. For example, a tree comes from Yahweh; we could not claim to own all trees. What if we cut down some trees and make them into a house? Presumably, we can say we "own" the house, since we made something out of Yahweh's initial creation. So, is it the change from nature that makes it "ownable?"

From what I understand from the article you linked, the botanist in question is someone who makes their living breeding special plants that don't exist anywhere in nature; they take two "trees," as it were, and make them into something else. Is it because the result is alive that it would be considered blasphemy? Or, has it not changed enough from it's original form? And if that's the case, where would you say the "dividing line" is?

I'm wondering where you see the difference between a new kind of flower that someone specially breeds and a type of chemical compound, or certain arrangement of words, or other similar things that people make profit from due to having "invented." The chemist doesn't really "invent" anything, he just arranges what Yahweh gave him; the same would go for an artist arranging colors. If you could help me see your side of the fence post, I would be appreciative. :)
- Lucan Chartier

Return to “General”