5-16-14 Brought Into Unity (LR6-3)

Transcripts of Sabbath Studies for review and discussion
Adriel

5-16-14 Brought Into Unity (LR6-3)

Postby Adriel » May 17th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Zahakiel : Ok, let's begin, then. Bro. Luke, will you offer an opening prayer?

Guest_Lucan : Dear heavenly Father. We thank you for this time to connect with one another. We ask your blessing on our discussion and fellowship. In Yahshua's name we pray, amen.

Barbli : Amen
Guest_Adriel : Amen
Zahakiel : Amen.
Naraiel : Amen
Guest_Peter : Amen.
Guest_Pastor_Chick : Amen.
Guest_Daphna : Amen
Guest_Elyna : Amen.
Guest_eagle : Amen.
Guest_gadriel : Amen / Amen

Zahakiel : Happy Sabbath to everyone.

Guest_Daphna : Happy Sabbath to you

Zahakiel : This week, I would like for us to speak a bit more about the topic of unity. We had a study on this the last time, followed by a good discussion, which precipitated an important clarification to this topic. Namely:

There is no need for truly converted persons to “come” into unity, because if they are one with Christ Yahshua, they are one with all the others who are in Christ Yahshua as well.

To explore this a bit further tonight, there are a number of verses that support this idea, and I’d like to begin with this section from Romans:

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of Yah dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Yahshua from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you.” (Rom 8:9-11)

This, to me, is a most critical passage for the subject of unity. Even though the words “unity” or “one-ness,” or even “brethren,” are not mentioned, what we have here is a full description of what that really looks like.

Paul establishes, first of all, that one cannot be part-way a Christian. One cannot be “mostly” converted, or “generally okay” when it comes to salvation. One must have the Spirit of Christ, and that fully, or he is “none” of His.

Next, if one has this Spirit of Christ, the “body is dead.” It is not Yah that kills the body, but sin is allowed to run its course, and the “wages of sin is death” applies to the “old man” that we were before.

Finally, Paul points out that resurrection unto everlasting life is accomplished by means of the Spirit. The Father does it through the Spirit, and because of the Son. This is how the “three great Worthies,” as Adventist writings describe Them, cooperate in the plan of salvation. But this only takes place if the Spirit of “Him,” meaning Yahweh the Father, is already in us. It is this Spirit that “quickens” our mortal bodies, and gives them life.

Now, while this – in its full interpretation – describes the physical resurrection, or translation, of the bodies of the saints upon Yahshua’s return, it is also speaking about the spiritual resurrection that is the New Creature.

Paul does not say, “the body will die because of sin,” or will be dead in the future. No, the body is dead NOW, and the only way we can have life NOW, if we are Christ’s, is if the Spirit of Yah is the life within us.

So, what does this have to do with unity? It is this... The true Christian is not the nominal Christian, or the social Christian, or the uncommitted Christian. The true Christian is the one who has the Spirit of Christ dwelling within, and it is not several spirits... it does not say that the believers are filled with the Spirits of Yahweh.

If we have one Spirit in us, then we have one Life within us, because it says in the verse from Romans, “the Spirit is life because of righteousness.” The work of that Spirit is to guide, and teach, and reveal, and motivate. It is the role of that one Spirit to work out that perfect Christian character within us through sanctification – an active process that requires our deliberate and diligent cooperation.

And if one has – and is filled by, and is only alive by – one Spirit, and another is similarly of that one Spirit, then those two individuals share in one life.

Perhaps we have seen the “words” of this before, reading as we have about one Body and many members that must cooperate to accomplish the work of that Body. We have certainly seen those verses about the Church’s various members working together to perfect the saints, and to prepare them for every good work.

But what I want us to focus on, and meditate on, and know to be true, is this idea of having one Life among us all. All are “dead” according to the passage we have read, and it is that One Christ in all that yet lives.

This, for me, introduces a new and very “personal” perspective. I have the same Spirit, and therefore the same life, as Bro. Luke, and Sis. Daphna, and Pastor “Chick,” and Sis. Barb.

A husband might be “one flesh” with his wife, and one might suppose that this is a more intimate connection, but the fact is that my wife and I are no more “one Spirit” than she and Sis. Guerline, or she and her parents.

The Spirit of Prophecy writings speak about “disinterested love” shared among the members of Christ. This does not mean “uninterested” love; it means “impartial,” equal among all, and it is because the true love is the divine Agape love, which comes from the unity of having One Spirit.

In regard to our relationship with the rest of humanity... we all share the “life” of a human being with any other person on the earth. Because of this we have sympathy with them, and are driven to labor on their behalf to bring them into everlasting life. Because we want to go from merely having humanity in common with them to having Life in common with them (the Life of Yahshua through His Spirit) we are motivated to share with them the Good News of the Savior.

If we indeed have the Spirit of Christ, then His Life, which involved teaching the Gospel, is lived out in us as a people and as individuals in our present generation.

Now, this is NOT something we can become, or learn, or practice. This is what we are already, if the Spirit of Christ is in us. If we are converted, then the self is “dead,” and the life that I now live is not only the life of Yahshua, it is also the life of all my other brethren as well.

As a Family we share the Spirit and the Life, even as a biological family shares common blood, and this determines our spiritual characteristics just as much as genetics determine physical traits.

We can, of course, develop skills that help us to express our life more clearly. We can become more experienced at expressing our Spirit to the world. We can (and must) learn to communicate more clearly, more actively, and so foster a deepening understanding of our unity.

However, in none of these cases are we are adding anything new to Yahshua in us.

Guest_Pastor_Chick : (likes) :)
Guest_Adriel : :)

Zahakiel : If we were to say, “I can become more united with my brethren,” this is just like saying, “I can become a better Christian.” The meaning is really, “The Spirit in me can be improved.” But is this true? Can this possibly be true?

If we have the Spirit of Yah and Yahshua in us, then that is the Perfect Spirit, and It cannot be educated, or increased, or improved. It is as unchanging in its perfection as the Father and Son. Yahshua in us is “all” for salvation and the perfection of character. As Peter says, Yah “hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue.” (2Pet 1:3)

Thus, while we can come unto a deeper “knowledge of Him,” and thus make the Spirit in us more visible, and the unity among us more apparent, it is not truly an improvement in quality – only in manifestation or appearance.

Now, the Scriptures do talk about being brought into unity. So... what do those verses mean? Let us examine those verses which are, interestingly enough, found primarily in John 17.

“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word, that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.” (John 17:11)

Yahshua, here, is praying that His disciples might become one – that is, that they be brought into unity. However, it must be remembered – especially when looking to the apostles as examples – that any activity or way of speaking in which they engaged before Pentecost reflected a time before “they were all filled with the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 2:4)

We have used verses such as this to demonstrate that the apostles were not fully converted during Yahshua’s earthly ministry: “But I have prayed for thee [, Peter], that thy faith fail not; and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” (Luke 22:32)

Some have said in response that the word “converted” there is not being used in an absolute sense, but rather, when he had repented of his particular error on that occasion. It is clear from the Book of Acts, however, that until the day of Pentecost the Apostles and other disciples were not yet “born of the Spirit,” even though Yahshua had spoken to them and dealt with them with some expectation of converted behavior (and that is another subject worthy of some consideration).

The Apostles, up until that occasion, were not truly “dead to self,” and indeed, all of Paul’s teachings on this subject came well after that occasion, when the process of conversion was properly understood, and had been experienced firsthand by, the Body.

Scripturally, then, we can show that that being “brought into unity” is simply another way of saying “becoming converted.” This is what Yahshua was praying for in regard to His disciples, and because the same Spirit does both (converts and brings brethren into unity) the two ideas cannot be separated to any degree. Those who are converted necessarily share in the same Spirit as Yahshua and all the brethren, and at that point unity has been received.

By the way, and speaking of Paul and his teachings... although I have not mentioned it so far, this week’s study IS connected to the current Letter to Rachel; that is, the sixth in the series. In the section of the 6th letter that I reviewed this week, I spoke about Pentecost, I discussed the calling of the deacons and the martyrdom of Stephen, and then I began to talk about Paul.

Paul is an interesting case, a unique one in the New Testament, in that he began (as Saul) as an ardent supporter of the Sanhedrin, and thus a deadly enemy of the Church.

Next week, I would like to spend some time examining Paul's conversion experience... because it reveals in a fairly dramatic way the manner in which Yahshua is one with His people, and how the early Church's unity contributed to its initial successes.

For tonight, however, I would like to end with this... Those who are born again are in unity by virtue of the Spirit that they share. Those who are NOT in unity of the Spirit must be brought into that unity... because it is not just a matter of Church membership, or fellowship... but of whether or not they are “dead to self” and thus filled with the Spirit of the Savior.

When we speak of others being “brought into unity,” we are really talking about their salvation, and this must remind us of our responsibility to our fellow human beings.

Yahshua has called each of us to live His life and He has given us His Spirit to do so. That life, the life of Yahshua, calls out to the lost and dying, to bring them into unity, to bring them unto life, to bring them to the point of conversion... and we, in our own unity, seek to share this tremendous blessing with those who are yet willing to know the truth in the world.

Are there any questions or comments about tonight’s study?

Guest_Pastor_Chick : C
Zahakiel : Go ahead.

Naraiel : Q.

Guest_Pastor_Chick : I have been blessed during the days of my walking as I have been engaged by people of faith, people who have a spirit that resonates with mine. They have very little understanding of the mechanics of Christianity... very little Bible truth as we know it, but, my heart is warmed even by those who shine while carrying a flesh that manifests the world's mold. END

Guest_Elyna : Amen

Naraiel : Q. Vicky

Zahakiel : Yes, I am encouraged by the feedback you seem to be receiving. I have to admit... that early on in the discussion I had pictures in my head of you wandering through barren wastelands :) but I am happy that the reality is a bit more welcoming.
Zahakiel : Go ahead, Victoria.

Naraiel : To what does Christ refer to when He says that He is coming for one church, does that included other churches? To whom do the Scriptures refer to when it says "church"? End

Zahakiel : When those books were written...there was only one Church, the Church that Yahshua established :) The apostles had no idea (and would be distressed by) the idea of multiple Churches, all claiming to teach the truth, but all differing in their understandings and teachings. So when the Scriptures talk about the Church, they are talking about the group of believers who are truly following Yahshua, in spirit and in truth.

We believe, because we know that the Spirit's work is to gather the Bride, that all those who truly follow Christ WILL come into perfect (visible) unity, because they are already united by sharing the same Spirit (which we were talking about tonight). And so, the CSDA Church exists as that visible, earthly Body of Christ to which the believers are gathered....and we are not confused by the counterfeits…because the Bible gives us a description of what Christ's Bride looks like. She is a pure woman, clothed in Christ's righteousness, and walking according to the perfect will of the Father. This is what we present to the world as an open invitation to become ready for that Day that He comes for one Church. Do you understand what I mean? :)

Naraiel : she says yes.
Zahakiel : Ok.
Guest_victoria : amen

Guest_Adriel : C

Guest_Adriel : I believe that the blessing that Pastor is having and the people Yah is sending are gifts and affirmations that this walk is truly from Yah (not that we doubted) and as daunting as the walk is for Pastor, these help to lighten the load. :) End sorry. :)

Guest_Elyna : Amen! Like a ray of sunshine in the rain! :)
Guest_Adriel : Yes :)

Guest_Pastor_Chick : C

Guest_Peter : C.

Guest_Pastor_Chick : I admit that the connections we make give some validation to the project, but even IF we were experiencing a barren desert... there is no way that I can become discouraged. Yesterday, I had the most potentially discouraging day...

Zahakiel : (Right :) )
Guest_Adriel : (agree)

Guest_Pastor_Chick : as I walked 2.5 miles around the city of Raleigh, NC which is the capitol. Only two people engaged me slightly, and maybe 1 in 4 even returned my salutations... what a dead place! The newspaper (which is a huge company) said they had no interest in the walk. The TV station was supposed to intercept me as I entered the city, but did not show. BUT... on the long walk to Raleigh on a busy four-land (almost like an Interstate) people were commuting and the horns blowing, hands waving, thumbs-up liking, etc. was almost like YAHSHUA entering Jerusalem. It was exciting and invigorating...

Guest_Adriel : Amen :)

Guest_Pastor_Chick : Now, these are people that see me carrying the American flag, and maybe some manage to catch the website... but for the most part, I think they are hoping for America to come back to life -- that is what I hear when talking to people. END.

Zahakiel : Go ahead, Peter.

Guest_Peter : I am thankful for the study and also I give God the praise for preserving all our lives at this moment in time to experience the blessings that he is pouring out. Between the studies and the walk that Pastor is doing God is using it to draw us closer to him and I praise him for that. End.

Guest_victoria : Amen

Zahakiel : Are there any other comments or questions? All right, if not then I will ask pastor to close with a prayer.

Guest_Pastor_Chick : Dear Heavenly Father thank You for reminding us of our unity of Life and Spirit as One with You and Your Son. May our unity become so visible that the world may KNOW without any doubt that we have been born from above. Bless us throughout the remainder of the Sabbath that we might have sweet communion with Heaven and Your Family on earth. In YAHSHUA's holy name, AMEN.

Zahakiel : Amen.
Guest_Peter : Amen
Guest_Lucan : Amen
Guest_Daphna : Amen
Guest_Elyna : Amen
Guest_eagle : Amen.
Naraiel : Amen
Guest_gadriel : Amen, Amen
Guest_victoria : Amen

Return to “Online Study Transcripts”