5-2-14 Walking

Transcripts of Sabbath Studies for review and discussion
Adriel

5-2-14 Walking

Postby Adriel » May 4th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Topic is: Walking
Happy Sabbath - Please see room details at http://csda-adventistchurch.to/chat.html

Zahakiel : I will ask Bro. Jaime to offer an opening prayer.

Naraiel : Dear Heavenly Father, We thank you very much for this time of fellowship. We ask you that you lead this study and be with Bro. David, and give us understanding about the topic of today. In the name of Yahshua. Amen.

Elyna : Amen.
Zahakiel : Amen.
Guest_Adriel : Amen
Guest_gadriel : Amen, Amen
Guest_Daphna : Amen

Zahakiel : Happy Sabbath to everyone. This week, I am taking a break from our review (loose though it is) of the Letters to Rachel series. I have entitled this brief and simple, but – I believe – interesting and useful, study “Walking.” The topic should not come as any particular surprise, in light of Pastor “Chick’s” recently undertaken ministry to walk across America for causes near to the Protestant heart, and for which we offer continuous prayers. We pray, certainly, that his health and strength are maintained, and also that he will establish contact with open hearts and minds, for the growth of Yah’s Family here on earth. Let us also, as we pray, learn all we can from Yah’s guidance in this and all areas.

As I was thinking about walking this week, a number of Bible verses were brought to my mind, and I began to remember the ways that our Father has used the word “walking,” and similar terms, in His Word, and the things that He has shown us by its use.

We have heard expressions, and been using them lately, such as “Walking the talk,” and putting “legs” on our prayers, ensuring that we are doing all we can to facilitate their fulfillment. But the Scriptures actually have many lessons for us with regard to this basic human function, as well as the postures associated with it.

Consider, for example, that in order to “walk,” one must first be standing upright. We cannot walk while lying down, kneeling or sitting. We may read verses such as:

“I am Yahweh your Almighty One, which brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, that ye should not be their bondmen; and I have broken the bands of your yoke, and made you go upright.” (Lev 26:13)

“I was also upright before Him, and have kept myself from mine iniquity.” (2 Sam 22:24)

“There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.” (Job 1:1)

“My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart.” (Psalm 7:10)

There are a great many verses, primarily in the Old Testament, that utilize this word, and aside from meaning physically standing up, it also carries a number of spiritual meanings as well. We see, just from the very small sampling above, that being “upright” in a spiritual sense means to be free (in contrast to being bound in Egypt), and specifically free from sin. Being upright is likened unto being perfect, and in the Psalms it is said that those who have salvation are also those who are “upright in heart.”

Recently, I have been thinking about the shapes of things in a spiritual sense. It is true that Yahweh is Spirit; nevertheless, when He describes Himself to us, He speaks in such a way as to draw attention to our physical form, which is a manifestation in the flesh of His image. We see, for example,

“Behold, the eye of Yahweh is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy,” (Psalm 33:18) and, “remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that Yahweh thy Elohim brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm; therefore Yahweh thy Elohim commanded thee to keep the Sabbath day.” (Deu 5:15)

We also see this in the vision of Ezekiel the prophet: “and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a Man above upon it.” (Ezek 1:26b)

One who is burdened with sin may be described as “crooked,” while the way to Heaven is “straight.” It is also described as lying beyond a gate that is “strait,” which is another word meaning “narrow,” although these two are often confused due to their similar sound and spelling. But it is clear that these signs in our flesh have meaning.

For example, if one were to lie on the ground as a snake, or to crawl on all fours like a beast, one would be lined up with the head, the heart, and the lower regions all at about the same height. But the Scriptures say that for a worshipper of the Most High, it is the “head” that renders acceptable praise. We are asked to give a sacrifice of reasonable, or logical, service. (Rom 12:1) We have the “mind” of Christ,” (1Cor 2:16) and with this we keep the rest of the body under subjection. (1Cor 9:27)

While the heart is considered the seat of emotion, an indicator – to a degree – of a proper course, and is the new location of the Law, (Jer 31:33, Rom 2:15) we know that the heart can betray us, (Deu 1:28, Jer 17:9, 1John 3:20) and must therefore be ruled by the sanctified mind.

The “bowels,” a general term for the lower parts of the body, can mean emotions, but also the desires and appetites, and must always be strictly controlled by the righteous.

It is written, “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.” (Col 3:5) The same idea is presented in such passages as Ephesians 2:1-3 and Romans 6:13.

If, then, we place the head above the heart, and the heart above the bowels, we are standing upright. Thus, one who is “upright” before Yahweh, in this symbolic language of shapes and positions, is one who is ruled by His Spiritually-influenced mind, and has both his feelings and his desires under its control. He is necessarily free from bondage, free from sin, and will therefore be with the Father in eternity.

An “upright” man before Yahweh is a symbolic image of a saint, one justified and being sanctified unto perfection. The basic principle behind this seems to be a part of the human experience, regardless of doctrinal knowledge, for in many cultures a greeting or a sign of submission involves bowing, lowering the head, as if to say, “Your head is higher than mine. I acknowledge the correctness of your authority.”

Now, when one is upright, then he can “walk.” Of this word particularly we may read: “And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, Yahweh appeared to Abram, and said unto him, ‘I am the El Shaddai; walk before me, and be thou perfect.” (Gen 17:1)

“And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.” (Exo. 18:20)

“And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.” (1Kings 3:14)

“I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.” (2John 1:4)

From the earliest books to the very last, we see that “walking” is used, not only as a physical activity, but also a spiritual one. To “walk” is to make progress. It is to move toward a goal. It is to apply what one knows to a designated purpose, and if one is righteous, he will “walk upright.” He will stay on the path outlined by the Almighty, straying neither to the left nor the right, and with the Spirit ruling over the flesh.

A few weeks ago, we looked at the healing ministry of Yahshua. While it was not made explicit in that particular study, one of the most significant aspects of that ministry is the relationship between the physical acts of healing, and the spiritual significance of those acts.

For example we read, “And [Yahshua] took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when He had spit on his eyes, and put His hands upon him, He asked him if he saw ought. And he looked up, and said, ‘I see men as trees, walking.’ After that He put His hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up, and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.” (Mark 8:23-25)

That was a tremendous blessing, and yet this verse is not talking about physical sight: “And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.” (Isa 29:18)

“And Yahshua said, ‘For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.’” (John 9:39)

Similarly, when we read of Yahshua restoring those with injuries, or paralysis, so that they may walk again, (John 5:8) and when we read of His disciples doing the same after His departure, (Acts 3:6) we can know there is a spiritual component, a teaching with direct application to the sanctification of the saints, as well.

Those who can see, both physically and spiritually, ought to praise Yahweh that they can do so. Those who can walk, physically, and those who can “put legs to their prayers,” and walk the victory of faith, ought likewise to praise Yahweh that they can do so.

When Yahweh says to us, “Be upright,” and as He said to Abraham, “Walk before me, and be thou perfect,” this should daily bring to mind the principles of our faith. This should daily encourage us to be ever moving forward, pressing on to the goal of our high calling. This should daily remind us that every step we take will be in holiness. Every step we take ought to be with thanksgiving, for He has not only raised us up and set us on our feet so that we might be “upright” before Him, but He directs our course as we progress through life.

And, as we discussed last Feast, He not only shows us the way in which we should go, but He also gives us the power, the energy, the ability, to do so. All we need do is agree, and then take the steps before us.

Finally, brethren, I am reminded of the verse, “Yahshua saith to him, ‘He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.’” (John 13:10)

It is with the feet that we walk. It is with the feet that we tread upon the earth, and they are therefore reminders in a sense that we are still in the world, even though not of it. They are a sign of our tempt-ability, and therefore of our humility, for as long as our feet walk this world, we depend upon the Father and Son for our spiritual and physical lives.

This is, perhaps, why our Father often had us remove our shoes while we stood on holy ground…so that the most “earthy” part of us could make direct contact with that which is sanctified.

Some have said to us, “Since you believe you do not sin, you are denying the need for the Savior.” This reveals, in those who say this, a terrible misunderstanding of the Gospel, and one likely to be fatal.

Yahshua is not, for us, one who is constantly reaching down and setting us back on our feet. He is not constantly raising us back to life after sin. No, indeed, our dependence upon Yahshua is far greater, but far more glorious, for it is He that keeps us on our feet. We remain upright before Him. It is He that keeps us walking in the path of righteousness.

Zahakiel : We continually walk before Him, the testimony borne by each, “The Father has not left me alone, for I do always those things that please Him.”

It is even He that walks within us, perfectly according to His Father’s will, whether it is across America, or to the door of a neighbor or friend that needs to hear about the marvelous work that our Creator is doing within His people.

Let us, then, walk together in agreement. “Walking together” is the language of unity. Let us, then, inasmuch as we are able, wash one another’s feet according to the teaching from that passage in John. We may not be able to do this in person, but we can keep one another “clean” by our testimonies to one another, by our examples to one another, by our prayers to one another, and by our communication. We wash one another, and we cleanse one another, so that we who are already washed in baptism should remain perfectly clean, every whit – every little part.

So we shall walk, even as Yahshua walked.

Are there any comments or questions about tonight's study?

Zahakiel : If there are not, then I will ask a question. I have shared, at the beginning of this study, and by my choice of topic, one of the things that has inspired me about pastor's walk. What are some things that this has inspired in you? This is an opportunity for us to share our thoughts with one another :)

Guest_Adriel : C
Zahakiel : Go ahead.

Guest_Adriel : I was inspired by the story of the Pastor telling a young child that Jesus wanted to write the Ten Commandments on their heart and the woman telling how she had just been sharing that with her child(ren not sure if plural.)

What a faith building experience for the mother and all who hear...how Yah is working. :)

Naraiel : C.

Zahakiel : Yes. I pray these will be seeds that bear fruit in ways that we cannot even predict. Go ahead.

Guest_Adriel : Amen :)

Naraiel : Well, I started to prepare some flyers to share to our neighbors, and hopefully David will go with me, if they call me for any study or chat.

I have begun studying with one of my cousins, and I hope she persists with this. And I have initiated conversations with cousins and family which whom I have not talked for years. End

Lucan : C

Zahakiel : Good :) Any others? Go ahead.

Lucan : I've been blessed by the positive responses from people that have met with, housed, and otherwise supported or heard about the walk. It inspires a renewal of hope that there may be a harvest to be won from the world. <End.>

Elyna : C: Gloria

Zahakiel : Certainly, for me from North America in particular. You know, we have gone back and forth for some time over how close it is to the brink... Go ahead, Gloria.

Elyna : I realized that Yah has done a lot for us by giving me a mom. The time to go shop today and be ready for the Sabbath. He wants us to set a good example for others. End

Elyna : C

Zahakiel : Yes, setting a good example is very important :) Go ahead.

Naraiel : C. Jaime.

Elyna : I praise Yah for making me a new creature and for making me upright before Him. I praise Him for all my victories in Him. End.

Zahakiel : Amen. go ahead, Jaime.

Naraiel : He sentido that Pastor is a type de Christ, that is going to be seen many people. And people will come closer to him as people came to Yahshua to touch His mantle. And He felt that energy came out from Him. Perhaps, by this walk many people will become encouraged to do things they haven't done before. End

Guest_Daphna : The causes and the awareness he is bringing by just being out there walking. I think that brings praises to Yahweh. I seem to think beginning and ending for the most part, to think of Yahweh always being here is beyond my comprehension. But to look at the complexity and beauty of even a flower, just to see a small portion of the things he has made. Yah is right when he says “be still and know that I am God”. I think this walk will also bring the awareness of Yah and his love for mankind. End

Zahakiel : Thank you for sharing that.
Naraiel : (Amen to Sis. Guerline's statement)

Zahakiel : Are there any others? Ok, if there are not, then I will ask Bro. Luke to close the study with a prayer.

Barbli9082 : C
Zahakiel : Oh, go ahead, Sis. Barb.

Barbli9082 : It has been a blessing to me to see how, in some areas, people seem to 'come out of the woodwork' to offer water, take a picture, learn more, encourage us, etc. More than one person has stopped Pastor and told him that they have seen him walking more than once. Yah has people watching - and sends them to help - in various places. End

Zahakiel : Yes, I am blessed to read about the ongoing experiences, and people's reactions :)

Guest_Adriel : (Me too :) )
Barbli9082 : C (Pastor)
Zahakiel : Go ahead.

Barbli9082 : (Pastor)Today a car pulled over behind me. This woman hollered back to me… "Do you need a diet Pepsi?"

Zahakiel : :)

Barbli9082 : I hollered back, "I don't drink anything stronger than water"

Guest_Adriel : :)

Barbli9082 : Then she and the other woman in the car came walking towards me. The younger one had seen me walking and wanted to know just WHY I was walking. I explained, and they both wanted a card to read more....

Now, I WAS very thirsty but I would not drink the Pepsi...about that time, a young man came riding up on a bike. None of us knew him. He had two bottles of cold drinking water and he said he had brought them for me :)

(Barb had driven an hour away to pick up our mail, so that is why I was out of water.)

Zahakiel : Very nice.

Barbli9082 : Now, the young man said he was at the beach when we began the walk. He also said he had seen me twice since that time. He wanted to know more about the causes. I gave him a card. When I reached downtown who should appear again, but the young man and his dad. They gave us money, and Barb and I are spending the night at the dad's house tonight.

Zahakiel : Wow

Barbli9082 : We have had great agreement on the principles of righteousness.

Guest_Adriel : Praise Yah!

Elyna : Amen. :)

Barbli9082 : Todd Johnson (the dad) is 50 years old and a miracle to be alive (long story)…

Guest_Peter : Amen :)

Barbli9082 : He attended Bob Jones University in South Carolina, but did not agree with the once-saved-always-saved doctrine so, he says he cannot really be Baptist because of that. Anyway, we have seen the Hand of YAH more than once today, and I was given water several times, right at the precise time of need. HalleluYAH! END.

Naraiel : Amen !
Zahakiel : Amen :)
Guest_Peter : Amen.
Lucan : Nice. :)
Elyna : Praise Yah!

Zahakiel : All right, if there are no others, please offer the closing prayer, Bro. Luke.

Lucan : Dear heavenly Father. We thank you for the walk your Son has undergone on our behalf. We are ever blessed as we take up our crosses and follow in His footsteps, on the path of righteousness. We are thankful to be called to the number of those that follow Him withersoever He goeth. You have counseled us in Inspiration to strive to be among that number. As we dismiss into this day of rest, may we strive in that rest and the power of your Spirit. In Yahshua's name we pray, amen.

Guest_Peter : Amen.
Naraiel : Amen
Zahakiel : Amen
Guest_Daphna : Amen

Barbli9082 : Amen PC: Amen Prayer Request for Pastor's knee - he is having great difficulty with his right knee, which he previously had a sports injury to. Thank you.

Zahakiel : (Ok)
Guest_Adriel : will do.
Guest_Daphna : Yes will pray for your knee
Guest_Peter : Can I have the link to the post for the walk?
Elyna : Yes, will pray for him.

Guest_Adriel : https://www.facebook.com/events/4978881 ... l_activity

Guest_Adriel : The link :)
Guest_Peter : Ok . Thank you.

Guest_eagle : Good night all. And will continue to pray for God's will, guidance and protection.

Barbli9082 : At walkthewalknow.com in the upper right hand corner, there is a link to the FB page - and to the blog.

Return to “Online Study Transcripts”