6-7-2013 HOH 8A The Baptismal Vow

Transcripts of Sabbath Studies for review and discussion
Adriel

6-7-2013 HOH 8A The Baptismal Vow

Postby Adriel » June 8th, 2013, 11:29 am

Topic is: HOH 8A - The Baptismal Vow
Happy Sabbath & Blessed New Moon - Please see our chatroom
information at: http://www.csda-adventistchurch.to/chat.html

Guest_Abraham : Our dear loving Father in heaven, we come here before you with grateful hearts because we know you rejoice in the gathering of your children as we gather to learn from our Lord who said come learn of me... and we have come with anticipation of your words this evening or morning to hear what you will show us... and we thank you in advance for the blessing we will receive... in Yahshua`s name Amen

Adriel : Amen
Barbli : Amen Edwin: Amen Scovia: Amen Phenehas: Amen
Guest_Peter_Jr_1516 : Amen.
Zahakiel : Amen.
Guest_Giselle : Amen
Guest_greenhorizon : Amen
Guest_PeterGuerline : Amen.
Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : Amen
Guest_Gadriel : Amen & Amen
Guest_eagle : Amen.

Zahakiel : Happy Sabbath, and Blessed New Moon, to everyone. Today, we are beginning a summary and discussion of the final chapter of The Highway of Holiness.

Guest_greenhorizon : Happy Sabbath to all.

Zahakiel : I consider this a very fitting topic for our study tonight, because this IS both a Sabbath and a New Moon, and this chapter is about baptism and Church membership.

Guest_eagle : Can I say something before you begin?

Zahakiel : What is it?

Guest_eagle : I am loving to see "PeterGuerline" names linked together. End.

Zahakiel : Thank you for sharing that.

Zahakiel : So tonight, we are discussing, or beginning to discuss, the final chapter of the Highway of Holiness. That document is, primarily, a baptismal guidebook. This means a lot of other things. It is a book that reveals most if not all of our pivotal doctrines, as a knowledge of these things is important for the prospective members to know. It is a book that tells quite a lot about the way a Christian thinks, and just last week we were talking about the importance about thinking the “thoughts of Heaven” rather than merely focusing on what a Christian is “supposed to do.” It is a book that reveals the precious promises that we claim, and the events to which we are looking forward, including the soon return of our Savior, to finally end all that is evil and unfortunate about this present age.

The final chapter is called “The End in Sight,” and it represents the culmination of the material presented in the book. It discusses what baptism is, what Church membership means, and it also contains a call to action, both for present members and those who have been “with us” without yet being “of us.” And so, I consider this a very appropriate chapter to begin discussing this week.

Although our New Moon meetings are held for our members, to prepare further for translation, to “clean house,” spiritually speaking, and to solidify our plans as a Body, the spirit of the New Moon day ought to be observed with equal solemnity by all who claim to be Bible-believing Christians.

The Scriptures tell us, after all, that ALL who are redeemed will gather before the Throne on Sabbaths and on New Moons, and so we know this is not an institution restricted to this current time. Whereas the Sabbath is a part of the Everlasting Law, and its significance has neither beginning nor end, the New Moon has a definite beginning in time, but becomes “like” the Sabbath, an eternal institution, similar to the human nature and physical wounds that persist on Yahshua’s body. (Zech 13:6)

This New Moon, as we begin this chapter, our members might well be asking themselves, “What does my membership mean to me? What does it tell the world about my life? How does it affect the way I think about myself?” And as we begin this chapter, our non-members might well be asking themselves, “What would membership mean to me? What prevents me from seeking it with all diligence, if I believe the message that this covenant contains?” The answers to these questions, both for our members and non-members, will have a direct bearing on their everlasting destiny.

As members, what does our membership mean to us? Is it something to be regarded lightly? Is it like a social club, one that we can merely join and resign? Or is it something far more solemn, something that changes who we are on a most fundamental level, so that we are NO LONGER what we were before we accepted and sealed ourselves to this message?

For those who have truly tasted the powers of the world to come, there is no “back” to which we can return. The Scriptures use the term “backsliding” to describe a failed process of transition from sinner to saint. It is not an applicable concept for this last generation, and if we have “died to self” as the Scriptures truly describe, then the previous “self” to which a backslider might return is simply no more. These are the thoughts of the Christian with regard to this issue, knowing by faith that his or her walk is ever upward, ever unto glory, and never countenancing the idea of failure or falling short. As members, our “second birth,” our “spiritual birth” is the point in time at which we came to be, and how can one be “unborn,” or perhaps more accurately “un-conceived,” and go back to a time before life began?

The chapter begins by talking about our baptismal vow, which is our “birth certificate” with regard to our individual spiritual lives, and our “marriage certificate” with regard to our social lives in the Body of Christ. As it was said by Yahshua in His prayer, all things on earth are to be done as they are in Heaven, and as the 144,000 perfectly follow the Lamb at the end, so the earthly matters of the Church will come to perfectly reflect the information in the Book of Life. Those who do not accept Christ’s words, and those of His apostles, with regard to the significance of the organized Body, they will have a real problem with this, but - except for extremely rare circumstances - those whose names are not recorded in the earthly scrolls will not be found in the heavenly ones either.

This only makes sense, if it is understood who the 144,000 are, and what they represent, the very Person of Christ as He is “glorified in His saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.” (2Th 1:10)

I wish I could impress upon those whom we have met in the past, who have rejected the teachings about baptism and membership, the wonderful and solemn teaching that exists in this verse. As the 144,000 progress toward the Day of Judgment, others are saved because they see the glory of Christ within them, and admire His faith as displayed in the testimony of the believers. If they do not see these things, nor admire them, the testimony will not be believed, and the end of such ones as those is ultimately destruction.

It is a solemn thing indeed for those who have not yet seen the glory of Christ as revealed in His saints; and it is a solemn thing for us as well, for we may “examine ourselves” to see if we are in the faith in this way as well, to know if our life is one through which Yahshua is glorified, and to know if our testimony is one to be admired. Yes, as we have often said, we must both speak and act from a faith that is invincible; our own lives, and those of others, depend upon our faithful obedience to this instruction.

We have gone over the words of the baptismal vow in some detail not very long ago, but it is never something to overlook. I present it here for our consideration, praying for understanding and wisdom to descend upon each one, and the knowledge that the very wording was chosen by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Our vow reads:

Christ has made baptism the sign of entrance to His spiritual kingdom. As Christians submit to the solemn rite of baptism, He registers the vow that they make to be true to Him. This vow is their oath of allegiance. I hereby enter that kingdom and declare my allegiance to YAH, the Creator and Eternal Father.

In going forward in this most solemn rite I make a public declaration that I am dead to sin (Romans 6:2). I solemnly vow to remain dead to sin, accepting the promise that it shall have no more dominion over me. I have claimed the cleansing from my hereditary and cultivated traits of evil. My mouth shall remain a sanctified mouth, my tongue a converted tongue. I will speak of God’s goodness and praise His holy name (Romans 6:14) I have renounced the world and will no longer live in pride and self-indulgence.

I accept Christ’s vow to me: “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). “I will preserve you from all evil” (Psalms 121:7). “I will guide you into all truth and show you things to come” (John 16:13). “Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto Thee. For Thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not Thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?” (Psalms 56:12, 13)

Following Christ’s commission in Matt. 28:19, I am baptized “into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”-- being sealed a member of the Royal Family. Henceforth I shall walk in newness of life, loyal and obedient to God and His law. I will bear His sign of obedience and creative power, the Sabbath of the fourth commandment (Ezekiel 20:12) and His sign of humility and dependence for life, the New Moon (Isaiah 66:22, 23; Psalm 81:3, 4; Colossians 2:16). I surrender to Him all that I have and pledge myself to serve Him; all of my capabilities shall be given to the work of extending His kingdom. Those who have been baptized can claim the help of the Great Worthies of Heaven to keep them from falling, and to reveal through them a character that is after the Divine similitude.

By my vow of perpetual obedience to YAH’s Word, I testify before angels and men that I LIVE BY “EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF YAH”. (Matthew 4:4). “I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him until that day.” (2 Timothy 1:12) “YAH is Our Righteousness.”

Those are our vows, presented above. We could probably have a study, or series of studies, on any paragraph of what has been given to us.

Like any earthly “contract,” it contains the following elements:

1) A Purpose – There must be a reason why the contract exists, and in this case it is because the vows are connected to the baptism itself, which Christ has made a sign, a requirement, of entrance into His Kingdom.

2) Conditions – We are “dead to self” and “dead to sin.” We are cleansed from traits of evil, and the principles of the secular world.

3) Benefits – Yahshua has pledged to never leave us nor forsake us. We have been given protection from all evil, and guidance for things to come. We shall be delivered from transgression, and from its wages, which is death.

4) A Sign or Symbol – There are several here, including the Sabbath and the New Moon, obedience to the Law in general, and a dedication of the life to serving Yahshua and the principles of His kingdom.

5) Signatures – The newly-baptized member signs his or her name on the document, and two witnesses are called, as supported by many Biblical teachings, to also set their signatures, rendering the contract sacred.

These are the elements of a Biblical vow with regard to everlasting life. As far as I am aware, this Body, this Church, is the ONLY one that covenants to being faithful to this vow, particularly such elements as, “I solemnly vow to remain dead to sin, accepting the promise that it shall have no more dominion over me. I have claimed the cleansing from my hereditary and cultivated traits of evil. My mouth shall remain a sanctified mouth, my tongue a converted tongue.”

Thus, it must truly be the case that all things on earth will be, and are, as they are in Heaven.

As mentioned, every contract that is valid must have a “seal of authority.” In the case of this contract, we have spiritual seals, which are words, actions and testimonies. There is also a visible seal as well, which is pictured on our websites and various other places.

Our seal, as displayed on the Wikipedia entry for the Church, may be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CSDASeal.jpg

It has three key elements.

The first is the origin of the seal, and that is given at the center. It comes from Yahweh and Yahshua. It is They who have conceived, brought forth, named, and directed, the people of the Kingdom from the beginning until the end.

The second is the jurisdiction, the locations in which this seal is valid. We see that our Father is the Creator of “Heaven and Earth,” and thus the seal is valid in all places, both physical and spiritual.

The third is the authority of the seal’s giver. This is represented in two ways.

First, Yah is the Creator. By virtue of His creation of all things, He has all authority. As it is said of Yahshua, “all things were created by Him, and FOR Him; and He is before all things, and by Him all things consist.” (Col 1:16, 17)

Second, the bottom part of the seal says, “Yah our righteousness.” Because Yah is righteous, He has won the world back from sin and Satan through an infinite sacrifice, on behalf of those who have inherited death and destruction. Thus, He has both created and redeemed the world, making his authority absolute.

Fittingly, just as there are three elements of the seal, there are three elements of our Baptism, which places this seal (spiritually speaking) upon us and our contract with the Most High.

We did a series of New Moon studies some time ago on the Three Baptisms, and we saw that there was a Baptism of Water, a Baptism of Spirit (or Fire) and a Baptism of Blood.

The Baptism of Blood is one of repentance. Because of the Blood of Yahshua, we repent of all the sin of our past, through which we became responsible for that undeserved death.

The Baptism of Spirit is one of faith. As described in The Highway of Holiness, and the New Moon study from which it was taken, this seal is one that is, in a sense, “broken” by the believer. When one receives the baptism of Spirit, the “mysteries” of the faith begin to be revealed. The believer understands the significance of prophecy, and parables, and present truth. The baptism of faith provides us with power for our testimony, and the strength to meet all challenges that have been placed in our path.

Finally, the Baptism of Water is one of testimony. It is the outward sign of accepting Christ, His Covenant, and a place among His people. It reveals that we have passed through the Blood, as the Israelites during their exodus from Egypt. It reveals that we have received the Holy Spirit, which has inspired in us a desire for unity with the Brethren, and faith to endure unto the end. It is an open testimony of death to self, of ritual and spiritual cleansing, of rebirth, and of submission to the will of our Father, who has required this open acceptance of the entryway into His Kingdom.

Ideally, these three baptisms take place close together in time, and in the order described above. There have been times, and Acts 19 describes one of them, where they have not been done in Biblical order.

In the chapter I mentioned, Paul came across some who had taken the baptism of water, but had not yet experienced the baptism of the Spirit. Indeed, they had not even heard about the Spirit of Yah, and so they needed to be baptized again.

Some, upon hearing our message, and our teachings about baptism and Church membership, have said, “I have already been baptized. I already know what it means to be a Christian.”

Aside from the faulty understanding of what they are to be baptized into (i.e., the Body of Christ and fellowship of the saints), the fact of the matter is, without the Baptism of Blood, which begins a life of victory over sin, and without the Baptism of the Spirit, by which that victorious life is maintained, the Baptism of Water represents only an incomplete acceptance of Yahshua’s Kingdom. It is in a life such as that, that backsliding is possible... we might even say inevitable, because the conversion, the full conversion, from “sinner” to “saint” (i.e., one who is being sanctified) is not complete.

Next week, we will complete our examination of this chapter, and examine the ministry of the Church and its members, but for now, it is enough that we have this covenant, and these vows, before us, to consider (from the perspective of a member, or a non-member) what these divine principles mean to us.

Are there, then, any questions or comments before we close?

Barbli : C Phenehas
Zahakiel : Go ahead.

Barbli : Thanks be to God for this morning's study. End

Zahakiel : Any others?

Barbli : C Edwin

Barbli : I remember in the days of Paul's conversion, people would directly be converted after receiving the Spirit, but I wonder, now-a-days most people are completing their conversion after receiving the Spirit after some time. So, we need to pray for this, also.

Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : A

Barbli : I mean, for example, if other brothers accept the message, and they get the Spirit, they totally get converted at that time. End

Zahakiel : Go ahead, pastor.

Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : Most people are not being genuinely converted. Those who become converted, accept the message of EliYAH that is declared by the CSDA movement. People claim conversion without being in harmony and unity with YAH's chosen, so I doubt you know any who are genuinely converted in Africa. END.

Zahakiel : Right, I was going to say something similar, and also it is certainly true that the New Testament describes a number of "rapid" conversions of various individuals. Today we don't see anything like that... there are several reasons for this. One of the biggest ones is that many people think they know what "Christianity" is. Because of all the false doctrines and deceptions out there, we cannot just speak to someone about Yahshua and then take them into the water. We need to show them that "Babylon has fallen" as it says in Revelation… that there is no truth in the doctrines they have learned in secular, nominal Christianity. And because Satan's deceptions have been so thorough, this takes an educational process. End.

Guest_eagle : Q

Barbli : Edwin: Ok, thank you. end

Guest_eagle : What I’m understanding you all to be saying is that a person who "in the moment" accepts Jesus into his heart is deceived by false teaching and will not be saved unless they become a member of the CSDA church? End

Zahakiel : Well, as long as we have been giving this message...we have been talking about the importance of baptism and Church membership.

Zahakiel : The Bible explicitly warns against "deceptions," because they do, and will, keep people from everlasting life. It is "the truth" that sets one free, and if there is only one Body that is teaching the truth, then this is the reason WHY we have been stressing the importance of the covenant that we offer to the world. When Yahshua left there was only ONE Church. When Yahshua returns, there will be ONE Church. The fact that it happens to be called "the CSDA Church" is because He has given it a name of spiritual importance for this generation, but the Church has always been the Church, and there are many pretenders.

Go ahead, pastor.

Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : When the world (or the professed church) becomes covered by gross darkness (as we see today), YAH always sends a prophet with a special message for that time. When Noah was called to prepare the Ark, we see the result. It was a world-wide message. Today, YAH is preparing the Ark, and only "few" will accept the message. We know who we are, just as Noah knew who he was. He was the "voice of God in the earth" according to the Spirit of Prophecy. When we speak under the inspiration of YAH, we are the "voice of God in the earth". We cannot deny our calling. END.

Guest_PeterGuerline : Amen.

Guest_eagle : Q

Guest_eagle : How does what you have just said relate to Jesus acceptance of the thief on the cross? End

Zahakiel : This relates to the reply I gave to Edwin. Actually, your first question gets at the same idea. Which "Jesus" would one accept "in the moment?" The thief on the cross accepted the actual and true Savior. But today, as Yahshua warned, there are many "false Christs." If one accepts, in a moment, the Jesus who came to destroy His own Law, or to save the unconverted, or who was a part of a Tri-une God, that is not the same Yahshua that the thief on the cross accepted. I am not saying that one cannot instantly accept Yahshua and be saved... what I am saying is, with so much deception out there, and only one channel of truth, the situation you are describing, we just haven't seen it. All those who have been converted to the truth needed to be drawn out of the grossest darkness, the wickedest deception about who God actually is. And that has taken time. End.

Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : The book of Revelation prophesies what will happen in the last days. There is to be a "three angels' message" given... That message is to prepare a group of people who WERE "sinners" to be translated to glory without experiencing death. That group of people is designated in the book of Revelation as the 144,000. YAH has shown us the fulfillment of the prophecy and mandated us to stand in that message unto the end. Therefore, we have seen the fulfillment of the "image of the beast" and the "mark of the beast." All that remains is the finishing of our message in the earth, and the end will come. END.

Barbli : Q Edwin

Barbli : Are you talking of the third Elijah (a people who have the latter rain)? End

Zahakiel : If you count John the Baptist as a "second Elijah," then that would be accurate.

Oh, Sheila... you also mentioned, "unless they become members of the CSDA Church." To answer that part specifically... the covenant of unity with Christ and His people IS the fulfillment of the Gospel as expressed in the three angels' message. One cannot accept the Gospel without also accepting this aspect of it also. End.

Guest_greenhorizon : Happy Sabbath
› Guest_greenhorizon has left the conversation.

Zahakiel : Are there any other questions or comments? All right, then I will ask pastor to close our meeting with a prayer.

Barbli : Q Phenehas
Zahakiel : Ok, go ahead.

Barbli : What can we do then since Christ's message is now new to Africa and Africa is large? Don't you think we have a very great task to do to reach the message to Africa, so that Africa consents or rejects the message? End

Zahakiel : I think we DO have a very great task, yes. That is why all who hear it there (and everywhere) must make no delay in committing to the truth as it is in Yahshua, and sharing it with others.

Zahakiel : Any selfishness, any resistance, in those who should be messengers… others suffer for that sin. It is a very serious matter, and a very serious time.

Go ahead, pastor

Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : The Seventh-day Adventist Church has carried the basic introduction to the message in Africa, AND, we see few accepting even the message of the SDA Church. We need to reach out to those of the SDA and pray that they will respond with honest hearts. So far, even those who have accepted the introduction to truth do not want the pure and unadulterated truth. END.

Zahakiel : So then, there is some hope to build on the efforts of those who have gone before us. We certainly all pray for success in Africa. We have had many indications that there is promise there of acceptance.

Barbli : Edwin: Amen

Guest_eagle : C

Guest_eagle : I am praying just now that God will bless those seeking God's truth in Africa....Africa I believe to be the greatest nation on this earth. End

Zahakiel : Those of us who have been there have returned with good reports, yes :) If there are no further questions or comments, I will ask Bro. Luke to offer the closing prayer.

Zahakiel : It seems as if Bro. Luke may be away from his screen.
› Lucan has left the conversation.

Let us pray, then. Almighty and loving Father in Heaven, We give you thanks for the reminders that you constantly give us, of your care, of your love toward us, and of your kindness. We have seen prayers answered, and been blessed with insights into your truth,

› Lucan has joined the conversation.
Lucan : (What went through last?)

Zahakiel : and we have been given appointed times, set up with divine purpose, to draw us into a nearer and more blessed relationship. We ask that you touch each of us with your divine nature, poured out upon us like latter rain...

Adriel : (nothing from you)

Zahakiel : that we may be counted worthy, and fit, for everlasting service in your courts. Bless us on this Sabbath and New Moon, with rejoicing, and with sound judgment, for we ask this in the name of your Son, Yahshua.

Zahakiel : Amen.
Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 : Amen
Lucan : Amen.
Barbli : Amen Edwin: Amen Phenehas: Amen
Guest_Abraham : Amen
› Pastor_Chick_CSDA_7 has left the conversation.
Guest_PeterGuerline : Amen
Guest_eagle : Amen.

Return to “Online Study Transcripts”